Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Only God Can Judge Balotelli


There’s no secret as to how prevalent Religion is in footy – from the sectarian rivalries like Celtic F.C. (Catholic) vs. Rangers F.C. (Protestant), to the many players who touch the pitch before ‘crossing oneself’ and entering the field of play.  At times, I feel as though it overshadows and clouds the sport; especially when players, managers and owners leverage their credence like a politician caught with his pants down.  I’m not helping the matter either... that burning bush could use some gasoline though. In lieu of – Italy/Manchester City's striker by day, amateur arson/playboy by night – Mario Balotelli’s recent interview with France Football, I have a confession to make: I nutmegged Black Jesus!

The divine powers Mr. Balotelli claims he inherited – as if he was some Herculean immortal – are as absurd as ones devotion to some catalogued cult.  But that’s neither here nor the air up there: 

“That’s because I have a talent only a few people have. The talent God has given me is beautiful, magnificent... but it’s difficult to have, because you are always confronted by others who are willing to judge you.” 

I’m almost positive that this talent you speak of was genetically predisposed; and isn't 'judging' the be all and end all – ultimately determining ones fate by their faith?

“It’s not easy, but it’s not a drama. Those who do not understand me don’t interest me... it’s said that geniuses are misunderstood. But maybe it is because the genius is so different that people are not capable of understanding them... But if you understand me, maybe you are also a genius.”

I don’t know if I’m qualified to speak on such jejune ignorance; but by your rhetoric, the only people who don’t understand you are Pagans.

"I'm different...if you find another guy like me, I'll buy you dinner.”

That’s the problem, there are too many people like you, they are called Christians - now where’s my dinner? Oh and as an FYI, you won’t hear me say grace.

There’s no denying the fact that Mario Balotelli has all the tools to become great in this sport – but unless he curbs his delusional, self-manifested venerated image, he will fade into obscurity.  Balotelli was added to Italy’s final squad for Euro 2012 – after being omitted earlier in the year.  So only time will tell – not God – as to how the next chapter in this already avant-gardesque career pans out.

Before the night of a big game, 99.9% of the respective teams’ supporters, players, management and owners 'speak' - albeit, in more of a one-way conversational fashion - to some supernatural guy in the sky; begging and pleading, bargaining and bartering for some assistance in their favour: they will do anything for a win. It’s somewhat unsettling knowing that the most conditioned (physically) athletes in the world are searching for help via mythological intervention.  In closing, I don’t feel as if the lord works in mysterious ways; he/she/it just flips a coin.  I think it’s about time we separate religion from sport.

- I don't think God approves of such attire.